- Cities: Skylines was a first-ever attempt at a difficult genre by a relatively unknown developer, Colossal Order.
- Paradox Interactive, a publisher known both for taking risks and for publishing unique, user-friendly games, saw an opportunity to capitalize on the genre, which had seen a few high-profile failures in recent years, including a problematic launch by the latest SimCity title.
- Paradox put significant marketing and promotion effort behind Cities: Skylines with multiple trailers produced, community activation, and inclusion of the title as a highlighted game in its 2015 lineup, including direct press engagement at their annual media convention.
- TriplePoint was tasked with supporting these initiatives with a full public relations campaign, including previews, high-level features, and an extensive review campaign targeting both traditional media and content creators on YouTube and Twitch.
- Paradox’s strongest evangelists were targeted by TriplePoint for a San Francisco media tour in December.
- Colossal Order’s CEO personally presented the game to press in attendance, where she was able to tell the studio’s story, presenting the crucial “underdog” angle of the 15-person team who developed Cities: Skylines while showing some of the game’s key features.
- This initial wave of press enthusiasm and optimism was followed by hands-on press demos at Paradox’s convention in February, which included both traditional media and several high-profile YouTube creators.
- TriplePoint staffed and supported this convention and shared press’ observations directly with Paradox and Colossal Order.
- Shortly before the launch of Cities: Skylines, Paradox employed a two-step embargo process, wherein permission was granted to content creators to stream the game, and to produce YouTube content, several days prior to the review embargo date.
- TriplePoint helped to seed streaming copies with enthusiastic fans, and generate early publicity for the game among high-profile creators and outlets.
- Cities: Skylines broke internal records at Paradox for the fastest-selling title ever released, with 250,000 copies sold in the first 24 hours, and over 500,000 in the first week.
- Leading up to launch, Cities: Skylines was consistently among the top 5 games streamed on Twitch.tv, and reached the #1 slot for top-selling games on Steam.
- 47 MetaCritic-rated reviews were issued with a MetaCritic score of 86.
- Cities: Skylines was shared on YouTube and Twitch extensively by high-profile creators including TotalBiscuit, The Yogscast, NorthernLion, and relevant strategy channels such as Force, Quill18, and more.
- Numerous interviews and feature articles were placed with dedicated enthusiast media including Polygon, PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, and others.
- Cities: Skylines shattered all internal expectations at Paradox, from sales to critical reception, and has turned into a flagship franchise for the publisher, while catapulting Colossal Order into the limelight as a capable indie developer.
“I plan on playing Cities: Skylines at length…We haven’t had a city building series in forever and a lot of people want to see another one and I want to do another one. And why not do it with this game, because so far, it is fantastic. I really, really do like it.”Sips